[Interview] Iksar on Battlegrounds: “We’d love to add some progression systems”
- The Dragons Update is 75% to 85% of what they want a big update to be
- Big Updates will be every 3 or 4 months
- It will be around the same time when we get expansion updates
- In between Big Updates there will be small updates, such as Hero Balance & Card Changes
- Battlegrounds is still in beta (for a reason)
- They want to add some progression systems
- They want some goals for the player
- 8 Players lobbies are something they want
- Play with your friends in a lobby
- Making Tournaments with this option
HearthPwn: Are there any plans to introduce a leaderboard or a reward structure to the Battlegrounds game mode?
Dean Ayala: I think over the next year we have big plans for Battlegrounds. The first thing we want to nail is the content pipeline. Like, how often are we changing things. That can be Hero Balance, that can be content update. I think the content patch that is coming, the Dragons patch, is probably like 75% to 85% of what we would want a big content update to be. So I think in the future you can expect big content updates around the same time you get expansion updates, so every 3 or 4 months. And then in between them we are going to do tons of Hero Balance, tons of card changes and that sort of thing.
Battlegrounds probably launched before it really had that final level of polish. I think it still has the beta tag on it for a reason. So we’d love to add some progression systems, love to add some goals for different players to hit. There’s just a bunch of features that we want to do first, like for instance getting 8 player lobbies, so you can queue up with your friends, but also for organizers outside of Blizzard to also make their own tournaments and broadcast those for people to watch. So that’s really the first feature. We’d love to do more, but that’s going to take some time.